Real Characters is a monthly storytelling and performance show that combines some of New York’s best storytellers with its funniest, most innovative comedians and writers. So, some of it’s true, some of it feels more than true, and most of it is mostly funny. Past performers include writers, journalists, actors, stand-ups and 1950s housewives, who have appeared on the Moth Mainstage, This American Life, BBC’s The World, HBO’s Funny or Die and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Joining us in October:
- Elna Baker (This American Life, author of The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance) with a story about Halloween
- Nick Vatterott (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Montreal Just For Laughs Festival) performing a little mad scientist standup
- Ted Travelstead (Vanity Fair, co-author of SEX: Our Bodies Our Junk) recalling his time as a child actor in Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice
- George Gordon (New York Underground Comedy Festival) telling the story of watching himself survive a liquor store robbery
- Matt Mercier (The Moth) who used to live in the basement of Edgar Allen Poe’s New York home. For real.
- Just added: Michael Kupperman (author of Mark Twain’s Autobiography 1910-2010) reading as the eponymous author