On Our Shelves
Towering mountains and turquoise sea, street food and cutting-edge cuisine, old-world vibes and world-class luxury: Explore a tropical paradise full of surprises with Moon Puerto Vallarta. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries for spending time in Puerto Vallarta, Banderas Bay North, Sayulita, and the Riviera Nayarit, including a Costalegre road trip
- Strategic advice for outdoor adventurers, beach bums, surfers, budget travelers, wellness seekers, and more
- The top outdoor adventures: Go snorkeling in the crystal-clear ocean, spot humpback whales and sea turtles out on the bay, or take a surfing lesson. Soak up on the sun on soft beaches and take a dip in warm waters, go standup paddle boarding, or escape to the misty Sierra Madres
- Must-see highlights and unique experiences: Enjoy tacos from a street vendor, feast on Mexican delicacies at a waterfront restaurant, or drop anchor and grill your freshly-caught fish in a palapa. Shop from local artists along the Malecón, or spend a day volunteering at a turtle rescue camp. Visit a tequila distillery, sample local raicilla, and dance to cumbia as the sun sets over the beach
- How to experience Puerto Vallarta like an insider, support local and sustainable businesses, avoid crowds, and respectfully engage with the culture
- Expert insight from local author Madeline Milne on where to eat, how to get around, and where to stay, from glamping and jungle lodges to luxury resorts
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Reliable background information on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and history, as well as common customs and etiquette
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, packing suggestions, and travel tips for families with kids, seniors, travelers with disabilities, and LGBTQ travelers
Exploring more of Mexico? Check out Moon Tijuana, Ensenada & Valle de Guadalupe Wine Country.
About the Author
As the editor of a local English language newspaper, the Vallarta Tribune, Madeline Milne is somewhat of a resident expert on life and culture in Puerto Vallarta. She's lived the last seven years in Mexico's second most popular destination, and friends, family, and the readers of the newspaper regularly turn to her for advice on how to best enjoy their holiday in Vallarta, which she's more than happy to give.
She loves road-tripping through Puerto Vallarta and its gorgeous surrounding areas; the more offbeat, the better! Madeline has explored just about every beach town through Nayarit and south along Jalisco's coastline to Colima, and everything from the silver mining town of San Sebastian de Oeste to the best bass fishing lake in Mexico at Cajon de Peña.