This book is out of stock indefinitely, unable to order at this time.
200 incredible women. 126 hours of interviews. 16,000 photographs. 5 questions. This landmark project is the realization of an epic global journey to find 200 women with diverse backgrounds and to ask them what really matters to them.
This book was inspired by the belief that, as Gloria Steinem once said, "You can’t empower women without listening to their stories."
The resulting interviews with 200 women from a variety of backgrounds takes you on a journey that's heartbreaking and uplifting, providing a vivid snapshot of female life around the globe. Each woman shares her unique reply to the
same five questions: What really matters to you? What brings you happiness? What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? What would you change if you could? Which single word do you most identify with?
The variety of answers offers gifts of empowerment and strength—inviting us to bring positive change at a time when so many are fighting for basic freedom and equality.
- Jane Goodall, conservation and animal welfare activist
- Margaret Atwood, author and winner of The Booker Prize
- Roxane Gay, author and feminist
- Renée Montagne, former host of NPR's Morning Edition
- Alicia Garza, activist and co-founder of Black Lives Matter
- Alfre Woodard, award-winning actor and activist
- Marian Wright Edelman, head of the Children's Defense Fund
- Lydia Ko, professional golfer and Olympian
- Dolores Huerta, labor activist, community organizer, and co-founder of the National Farm Workers Association
- Alice Waters, chef, author, and food rights advocate
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, author and Macarthur Foundation fellow
MULTIMEDIA PROJECT: Each interview is accompanied by a photographic portrait, resulting in a volume that is compelling in word and image—and global in its scope and resonance. This gorgeous large-format book is paired with an interactive website, building on this remarkable, ever-evolving project.
SNAPSHOTS OF GREAT LEADERSHIP: 200 Women
reminds us that there are no ordinary women. It is an empowering book for women, teen girls, or anyone looking for inspiration from luminaries across the world.
A STUNNING COFFEE TABLE BOOK: As a photography collection, this book is one to be admired and treasured. As an interview anthology, it is notable for its diversity and authenticity in showcasing 200 real women with real stories that enlighten and instruct.
- Birthday, graduation, anniversary, or special occasion gift for women of all ages
- An instructive and inspirational book for anyone interested in women's studies, cultural studies, history, and the power of intention
- Readers seeking books about empowered women
- Shelve alongside In the Company of Women, Ann Shen's Legendary Ladies, Vibrate Higher Daily, Humans by Brandon Stanton, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg's My Own Words