This book is harder to get and may take several weeks if available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The Dundee & District Tramways Company began operating a service using a horse tram on 30 August 1877. In 1885, steam traction was introduced, and between 1900 and 1902 the system was electrified, reaching as far as Broughty Ferry and Monifeith at its height. In 1899 the company had become Dundee City Tramways, and in October 1956 the tram system was closed; all the services were now run using the motor buses, which had originally been introduced in 1922. Dundee Corporation Transport and its successors have run the buses in the city ever since. In this book, transport historian Walter Burt looks at the trams and buses used by these companies, and tells the story of transport in Dundee through the vehicles that used to work its streets in a collection of images that will bring back memories of Dundee from times past.
About the Author
Walter was born in Dunfermline on April 1962. He is a Fitter/Turner to trade having spent 14 years in Rosyth Dockyard. He also worked in the signalling centre at Waverley Station in Edinburgh as a Train Performance Clerk and within the main station as a Station Officer. He has been driving buses with Stagecoach Fife for 16 years working from Dunfermline depot. He is the owner of Fife's last Y-type Leyland Leopard FPE189, which is undergoing restoration. He is married and has two children.