The timeless guide to culinary creativity and flavor exploration, based on the wisdom of the world's most innovative chefs
Eight years in the making, The Flavor Bible
is a landmark book that will inspire the greatest creations of innovative cooks and chefs by serving as an indispensable guide to creativity and flavor affinities in today's kitchen.
Cuisine is undergoing a startling historic transformation: With the advent of the global availability of ingredients, dishes are no longer based on geography but on flavor
. This radical shift calls for a new approach to cooking -- as well as a new genre of "cookbook" that serves no to document classic dishes via recipes, but to inspire the creation of new ones based on imaginative and harmonious flavor combinations. The Flavor Bible
is your guide to hundreds of ingredients along with the herbs, spices, and other seasonings that will allow you to coax the greatest possible flavor and pleasure from them. This astonishing reference distills the combined experience of dozens of America's most innovative culinarians, representing such celebrated restaurants as A Voce, Babbo, Blue Hill, Café Atlántico, Chanterelle, Citronelle, Gramercy Tavern, the Herbfarm, Jardinière, Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, the Modern, Moto, and the Trellis. You'll learn to:
- explore the individual roles played by the four basic tastes -- salty, sour, bitter, and sweet -- and how to bring them into harmony;
- work more intuitively and effectively with ingredients by discovering which flavors have the strongest affinities for one another;
- brighten flavors through the use of acids -- from vinegars to citrus juices to herbs and spices such as Makrut lime and sumac;
- deepen or intensify flavors through the layering of specific ingredients and techniques;
- and balance the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of cooking and serving an extraordinary meal.
Seasoned with tips, anecdotes, and signature dishes from the country's most respected chefs and pastry chefs, The Flavor Bible
is an essential book for every kitchen library. For more flavor inspiration, look for The Vegetarian Flavor Bible